Pages

Monday, February 6, 2012

Error 1722 Installing "Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client"

Helping one of our students trying to use our Cisco VPN with the Windwos VPN AnyConnect Client I found the installer running then failling and logging the following error in the Windows Application log.


Event ID:  11722

Product: Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client -- Error 1722.
There is a problem with this Windows Installer package.

A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. 
Contact your support personnel or package vendor.  
Action kdf_acsock64_Install, location:
 C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\VACon64.exe, command: kdf -install "C:\Program Files (x86)\Cisco\Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client\\" acsock 


Looking around the net I found a link to expert-exchange about the problem but the solution was hidden from public view. Always frustrating.

As little later in put it together that the machine had had a virus completely remove the Windows Firewall service from the machine. Not just turned off but completely removed. Then when the Cisco AnyConnect Installer went to what I guess is register with the Windows Firewall, it fails and doesn't know how to handle it and rolls back the installation of AnyConnect VPN Client.

No good solution at that point, I might try to work out how to reregister the firewall like it did for NetBT when a virus removed it similarly. But most likely the only thing you can do is reinstall the operating system.

Links
http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind1201&L=IT-DISCUSS&D=0&T=0&P=32275


8 comments:

  1. it's true it's related to windows firewall entries in register missing. The registry entries missing probably because of virus so be sure that you pc is clean.
    The solution for that w/o reinstalling or recovering windows see here:

    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprosecurity/thread/5366225a-46e7-4d6c-a389-8bd18a5c3aad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I had the same error when installing AnyConnect and my computer had been attacked in the past by a vicious zeroaccess/rootkit virus that wiped out my Windows firewall service. I followed the link posted by Anonymous on 3/14/12 and ran the services repair tool by ESET as suggested in the thread. It repaired my missing services and AnyConnect installed without any problems.

    Just wanted to confirm the fix and say thanks for great information. +1 for freely accessible information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope this works. I have been searching for a solution for two days on some of our corporate machines. I will post back the results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fixed my AnyConnect problem by going to the technet article mentioned in the first post above. I used the suggested services fix posted by user narenxp, which restored my Windows Firewall and hence made my AnyConnect installation work properly. Here's a link to the service repair app from narenxp:

    http://kb.eset.com/library/ESET/KB%20Team%20Only/Malware/ServicesRepair.exe

    Check out the technet thread for more info - particularly narenxp's post (it's the green header post mid-way down the page). good luck -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say thank you for the article. This helped me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That worked for me on my windows 8.1 system. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are two types of gophers; front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive. The front-wheel drive is normally a smaller device and is used indoors. http://www.easeofmobility.com/best-leg-lifter-guide/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; someone, anyone!