Pages

Friday, April 22, 2011

Vmware View Windows 7 Optimizations

My brother Patrick pointed me to the new VMware Optimization guide for Windows 7 and I've been updating our VMware View Images to follow it. Its really impressive how much it helped lowering the IOPS our View Virtual Machines where using. While I have personal optimizations i already used I compared a un-optimization Virtual Machine with Windows 7 and all our Lab software and compared it to itself  after the VMware list of optimizations.

I used Resource Monitor to view the Disk I/O activity with in a freshly booted VM and directly after logging in. I could get much more scientific in my measuring but the results really drastic enough to make updating any VM worth the changes. I used Perfmon to get a longer avg but over all i saw the optimized WIndows 7 use less by 10 to 20 times less IOPS.

You may be asking why I don't post any hard numbers for IOPS I'm seeing but I'm leaving them out for a reason. Because I wasn't scientific enough in my measuring; any numbers I give you would be nearly impossible for you to repeat as our configurations are most likely different. Since you can't repeat my test, any numbers you generate may not align with mine at all. But we can't have a meaningful discussion about the difference in our numbers because our environments differ.  As such I don't wont to post any thing to lead someone to the wrong ideas about the normal IOPS to expect from a Windows 7 VM.

Note: Resource Monitor is really the best way to view the Disk ISOPs in windows 7.

Before Optimizations




After Optimizations
Windows 7 Resource Monitor - After Optimizations




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment; someone, anyone!