Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

VMware ESX URB timed Out

Working with Dell Remote Access Card (DRAC) 5 I ran into an issue where I got a URB warning from Vmware ESX 4.1 was booted.

Message : cpu6:4263)URB timed out - USB device may not respond

VMware ESX URB timed out

(Disregard the be2net line as that is part of the beta drivers we're running on our Emulex cards.)

This problem popped up after using the Virtual Media mapping done via the DRAC 5. I tried to set the Virtual Media to be detatched however that didn't resolve the issue.

Looking around I found this VMware Forum post talking about the issue may be fixed with a firmware update.I was running DRAC 5 firmware 1.51 and downloaded 1.60 from Dell's DRAC 5 Firmware Download. I choose the Hard drive option and
extracted it to get the "firmimg.d5" file. I then renamed that to "Drac5firmware_img.v1.60.d5" so that I actually know what it is later.

From the DRAC 5 website login and update the firmware choosing the "Drac5firmware_img.v1.60.d5" file we downloaded. This caused the DRAC to go off line and take about 3 minutes to come backup.

After its had time to apply the firmware I logged back into the DRAC. I rebooted the ESX host and found that the "URB timed out" warning is not longer being displayed on the console once it was booted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment; someone, anyone!