Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Dell Remote Access Controller (DRAC) 5 ActiveX Install Loop

I ran into this issue trying to mount a large ISO I couldn't burn to media on a Dell Remote Access Card version 5. It occurred using both Internet Explore 9 and 8.  I tried to open the Media tab and map the ISO. However when I loaded the tab it prompts to install a Dell Add on (ActiveX) and gives the following error : "Description: The Virtual Media plug-in is not installed or running."

DRAC 5 ActiveX Install Prompt

I right clicked and installed the add-on only to have it log me out of the DRAC. Figuring it installed and just needed a reload the site I log back in and go back to the media tab. I see exactly the same prompt and exactly the same error.

The easy fix is to
change the Configuration under the Media Tab to use java rather than the ActiveX Add-on.
DRAC 5 Media Configuration
Now Click the Virtual Media and a Java process should start and display letting you map drives or ISO's.

DRAC 5 Java Virtual Media

5 comments:

  1. Yes you would have thought that Dell would try and make this simple but they must have gone out of their way to make this as hard as possible and very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I know this is an old post but would you kindly elaborate on how to connect ISO files via the DRAC 5 java plug-in?
    All of the combinations I have tried have resulted in the response that there was already a connection and dmesg does not indicate the ISO was inserted. This is in a Linux server.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. This helped me get into the console after trying MANY things - must have reverted to Active-X after IE upgrade, or maybe JAVA.... classic www.stupidpieceofcrapsoftware.com candidate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In any case, while a default secret key is setup when you buy the machine, most don't know how to turn it off or transform it.
    customercaretoll.com/listings/dell-inc-customer-support-toll-free-phone-number

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found this on an old drac5. The console activex worked fine, but to get virtual media activex plugin working, I had to put this host's address into "trusted sites" in IE's security settings, and lower the limits to the lowest restrictions.

    I'm only doing this so I can remotely erase the old machine :-\

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; someone, anyone!