Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

VMware VMXNET3 Driver with WinPE

Today working with View I found out that the VMWare VMXNET3 Nic Type won't allow you to boot to a WinPE even if the driver has been added to the WinPE. I did read that this would be fixed in ESX 4.1 Update 1 but I couldn't confirm that.

The very second that the WinPE starts to download this error is given with the VMXNET3 Nic.

This was picture was taken on from our ESX 4.1.0 environment.

Instead use the E1000 Nic Type and behold A working WinPE running on a VMware Virtual Machine. Incase you were wondering why I was trying to WinPE on a Virtual Machine. Its because I'm using it to trouble shoot sysprep configuration problems I've been having building Virtual Machines for VMware Veiw. The VM will run into an error in sysprep and go into a endless reboot loop. However by booting to the WinPE  i can mount the local drive and read the sysprep log.

I'll post more on the sysprep issues later.

Using the E1000 Nic Type WinPE loads perfectly.

3 comments:

  1. I just ran in to this issue. Have you had a chance to check the drivers that come with ESXi 4.1 Update 1 yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not as of yet. But if anyone else has let us know.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; someone, anyone!